Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Things I've Made

These are just a few things I have made in my recent MUST CRAFT craze. I am learning a lot about sewing, as a result.








An Easter Bunny I made. Yes, I know it's sad looking. It's the first stuffed animal I made - and the only, actually!! I want to make more, but there's no rush - it's not as if this was the only stuffed animal she has!! I was supposed to sew on the face before sewing it together - whoopsie. So I just quickly added it with a Sharpie. Talk about lazy and disorganized. Lesson learned on this one - read the instructions!
Some clothes I made:

Pillowcase dress - this was fun and FAST. Lesson learned - this required bias tape on the armholes. There is extra left at the top of each side to become ties to hold the dress up. I FOLLOWED the directions this time, without checking my work and as a result I made the ties too short for my dress and so I had to end it at the center of the armhole, and then begin a second piece, which looks pretty bad. Lesson in brief - recheck your work! Measure twice, cut once.

This was the first dress I made of this sort. It did not have a pattern, just a tutorial on the internet, so I had to wing it. Yeah - you can tell. Hey, who said that?! This was another lesson I learned about measure twice, cut once. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I take a couple of times before I can get it through the old noggin. Whatever.) Anyway, this tutorial takes a man's button up shirt and turns it into a dress. I used a shirt from Will. Unfortunately, the first one I used had pleats or whatever in the back and so I accidently cut right through one. Game over, do not pass go, do NOT collect two hundred dollars. So I had to cut the other side to match and then I added scrap fabric to fill in the mistakes. I totally messed up on the straps in the back - I mismeasured and so the right side is much closer to the buttons than the left. And the dragonfly patch on the front wouldn't stay ironed down.

The dress below was my second foray into the men's shirt dress, and this one came out MUCH better. Lesson on this one? Don't forget the basics in your rush to finish. I hemmed the dress before sewing the sides together. Duh!! Oh well, this is a cute dress, if I do say so myself. I really like how it turned out. OH - anther lesson on this one - quit picking shirts that require IRONING!

A baby shower gift for a friend:



I didn't plan well on the burp clothes and first used a stitch that was WAY too tight and caused a lot of bunching, so that was a lesson in stitch length. I also cut the fabric and the ribbon too short, because it had a tendency to bunch anyways (what? ANOTHER lesson in measuring? No, certainly not, why, I must have learned that lesson by now, surely.).
The first pitcure is the entire set, the second is the blanket that came as a panel and I just added bias tape trim. The third is a burp cloth, and the fourth are the embellished onesies I made with fabric leftover from the burp cloths. I was so excited. My idea was first to do just the blanket, but then I wanted to do the burp cloths and after that I decided to just whip out the onesies since I wanted to try an iron-on technique and I already had the onesies and the fabric leftover, so I thought, what the heck. The bag was the piece de resistance, though - I happened to be at Fred Meyer and I found this. It matches the fabric perfectly. I didn't have to buy any wrapping for it!

No comments: